Maybe the best way to introduce you to Pedigree Publisher is jump right in with a series of short videos.
- Getting started. How to create a database, add and edit records, display in a pedigree form.
- Changing the order in which fields are displayed in the Grid view; creating, editing, renaming fields and linking them to lookup tables.
- Calculating inbreeding coefficients, AVK, relations, breed planner..
Pedigree Publisher (PedPub) is a Windows application that reads a standard Breedmate .BMX file and allows data editing and display of pedigrees in standard Breedmate forms. PedPub as we call it is a complete new development and replaces Pedigree Explorer (PedX). We are doing a lot of development on PedPub at the moment so we have a production version and also sometimes a beta version. The beta version has the latest features but may have some bugs.
So how does PedPub fit in with our other products? Well Pedigree Explorer has been around for 20 years and its grown to be a very large and complex program. Rather than extending it in its current form we have decided to start from the beginning and develop a totally new program - Pedigree Publisher. It has now become the next version of Pedigree Explorer and is a highly capable pedigree program which actually has some features not in PedX.
There are a lot of similarities between PedPub and PedX. In particular they both implement the following: Table design, Data Doctor, Merge Manager, Field Chooser, PedPoint export, Pedigree Chart, Relations view (PedPub has it in Navigator), Bulk inbreeding calculation including automatic self-parenting correction.
Here is a quick screen shot of PedPub to show how similar it is to PedX. There is no Help file but there is a PDF User Manual. Many of the functions are similar. For example, to open a file use the File-Open menu. This will allow selection of Breedmate BMX files or .MAX files. To view a pedigree, select a record from the grid view then click the Pedigree drop button and select a form to display it on.
PedPub has the following main features:
- Reads standard Breedmate .BMX files directly. Because PedPub data files are in SQLite format, it will convert any .BMX to a .DB file leaving the .BMX file unchanged. PedPub can edit the .DB files and write them out as .MAX files which can then be opened by Breedmate. Hence its possible to do all your data editing in PedPub and use Breedmate to perform any other functions not done by PedPub.
- Pedigree chart, same pedigree forms as Breedmate, circular pedigrees
- Fast bulk COI calculation
- Individual report with COI, COR to ancestors, percent of Blood, siblings, ancestors
- Ability to sort on any field
- Ability to mark one or a range of entries
- Report listing Percent of Blood for all "marked" entries and their ancestors. Report format is CSV file with three columns: subject name, sex, DOB, sire, dam, COI, AVK, # of ancestors, siblings, offspring.
The major functions are described in the following sections.
Moving data between PedX and PedPub
PedPub can read your standard Breedmate .BMX file. When it does so it immediately creates and writes to a SQLite file with a .DB extension. The original .BMX file is never modified. When you make changes in PedPub they occur in the .DB file not the .BMX file. Normally when you work with PedPub all your work is saved in .DB files. If you need to save your changes so that PedX can read them then the only way to do it is use "TOOLS-Export to Breedmate" which will create a .MAX file. Next start PedX and use File-Open and open the .MAX file.
Fast bulk calculation of COI
The following bulk COI related functions are provided:
Very fast and accurate calculation of Wrights inbreeding
coefficient (COI) to user specified number of generations
or for all generations
- COI displayed to four digits
- Calculates # of offspring, siblings and ancestors (within the specified gen limit)
- Calculates AVK (defined as unique ancestors / expected ancestors, where expected ancestors is 2^(N+1) - 2) a higher AVK is better!
- Copy and paste results or save as CSV
- Messages tab lists any errors found in the data
- Ignores all names starting with #, e.g. #unknown
- progress bar
- Fully multi-threaded so user interface still functions during calculations and lengthy calculations can be stopped
- Detects self-parenting and lists all parents in a loop for easy correction of these problems
- optional import export separator
- navigation bar to quickly go back or forward to individual reports that have already been run
Use this to calculate the COI of a particular entry and the COR, Percent of Blood, Line Breeding etc for its ancestors. To do this first select the record then Click on the Report tab to see the individual report. An example is shown below. The ancestors are listed in order of minimum generation at which they appear.
To view a Pedigree Chart for an individual record select the record first then click on the Pedigrees drop button and select PedChart..
Other features are:
- Zoom in or out buttons on the toolbar - also zoom by holding down the control key and using the mouse wheel
- Print, page setup and print preview functions - click the Print button drop down to get the last two
- Right click on a node to clear all selections, select parents or immediate offspring or all
- Click on any node to rerun the individual report for that node - all reports get updated - use the nav bar to go back
An example chart is shown below:
These can be done to 6, 7, 8 or 9 generations. You can customise what fields are displayed. Also, like the Pedigree Chart or in fact any form you print this to a single PDF form and then have it printed at a bureau on a large format printer - makes a great wall hanging.
Use this to view a normal pedigree form with 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8 generations. A sample pedigree is shown below: